The Open Education SIG (OESIG) was established in March 2012.
Education has the power to transform lives but too often access is restricted. Among those excluded are those who lack the right qualifications, who cannot pay the fees or who are unable to accommodate a fixed schedule. The Open Education movement seeks to remove barriers to education by freely sharing educational resources and adopting open educational practices.
The remit of this SIG is to support, develop, sustain and influence policy in open education.
Co-Chairs: Teresa MacKinnon and Vivien Rolfe
Secretary: Debbie Baff
Accessibility Champion: Alex Fenlon
Influencing Champion: Terese Bird
Open Practice Champion: Ella Mitchell
To join the SIG, please sign up to the mailing list:
Continue the conversation on twitter using #openedsig
We also encourage you to sign-up to the commitment to Open Education which can be found at http://www.open.ac.uk/score/make-commitment-open-education
The Open Education SIG now has a dedicated blog and community space. Visit the Open Ed Blog here: https://altc.alt.ac.uk/oesig/
Forthcoming OESIG Webinars
29 March 2017, 11.00 - 12.00: Maha Bali, 'Keynoting at #OER17: a personal perspective on open practice'
Details of forthcoming webinars organised by the OESIG will appear here.
Past OESIG Webinars
- #OER17 preview with conference co-chair Josie Fraser - 9 March 2017 RECORDING
- A New Look at Wikimedia, the World's Largest OER - 26 October 2016 RECORDING (mp4 version)
- Open Principles in Education - Bridging Bridges, Empowering communities - 22 September 2016 RECORDING (mp4 version)
- OER16: Preview and publicity - 11 March 2016 RECORDING
- Transforming OER into accessible OER - 9 March 2016 RECORDING
- What next for Jisc and UKOER in a post-Jorum world? - 7 March 2016 RECORDING
- Open education over the pond? Updates from the OpenEd Conference, Vancouver 2015 - 7 December 2015 RECORDING
- The Open Academic: What does open practice mean for the practitioner? - 19 October 2015 RECORDING
- Findings from the OER Research Hub - 30 September 2015 RECORDING
- 'Open Guilds' – what can they do for me? - Thursday 2 July 2015
- Living and Learning in the Open: Supporting and developing open courses -Thursday 12 March 2015
- How Open is Open Education? Removing barriers for all staff, students and other learners - Thursday 29 January 2015 RECORDING
- Creating and using video resources for language teaching. (Open Educational Practice) - Tuesday 25 November 2014 RECORDING
- Creative Commons - understanding the basics (CC for Dummies) - Thursday 11 December 2014 RECORDING
- How to write an OER workshop (for staff development) - Wednesday 5 November 2014 RECORDING
For more information about the next annual conference please go the OER17 website.